Sunday, July 1, 2012

Right Back in Software Engineering

You thought I was trying to move on, right? No such luck.

Well, the IDR went well last week, once we finally decided on a test interface. It only took one follow-up meeting. During the first gathering, on Tuesday, I was glad that the former PE for this project stepped up and ran the meeting. It definitely took a load off of me. But, this last one, I more or less ran, and I must say, I kind of enjoy occupying the here's-the-way-it-is seat in the room.

This past week, I've enjoyed actually getting my hands dirty (wait.... that's an oxymoron, isn't it?) with the software. A lot of the "fun" has centered around decomposing what a bunch of LabView code is doing that was written 10 years ago, and then comparing that with a bunch of incomplete requirements documentation and some relatively esoteric ADATE code. It's esoteric for me, that is. I only heard of the language a few weeks ago, and now I have to understand what some dozen code files do. Finding documentation online is like trying to search for pearls in freshwater oysters... oh wait, you CAN find pearls in freshwater osyters. Never mind.

Anyway, the next few weeks will be filled with all sorts of interesting things like creating an RS-232 packet protocol, boning up for DDR (Detailed Design Review), and performing various wonders in C#. (If you saw the test framework we have, YOU might think anything accomplished is a wonder of some sort.)

But, unfortunately, those weeks will not involve hardware, unless I get pulled back onto some test station integration. We can always hope...


No comments:

Post a Comment