Sunday, July 10, 2011

In which I share a thought or two about our nation's economics...

So, these talks are happening, and I am starting to grow a little concerned about the whole thing.

Two things come to mind from the article above. One, the US Congress surely could have started addressing this issue long before now. It seems rather short-sighted to be on a crash course of debt-reduction planning on the eve of defaulting.

Second, this idea of tax hikes or closing tax loopholes (depending on who you talk to, it seems to be referred to by either of those terms) has me confused and wondering. If these are actual tax loopholes, I am beginning to wonder at the conservative opposition to the plan. Obviously, though, I don't know the details of what these "tax loopholes" are. I have my doubts that something illegal is happening on a massive scale with these supposedly profitable businesses.

On the other hand, though, one can make an argument that, even if big businesses and banks are getting a break on taxes, this is probably better for the economy anyway. If you want liquidity and credit flow, I think your best bet for the source of that liquidity is going to be in the top-tier of earners, especially large banks and other such businesses. It seems a little ridiculous, especially when the employees of these rich companies bring in million dollar bonuses, but hey, you're going to have unequal situations in a market-driven economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment