Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011

As an attempt to make an auspicious start to the new year, I have to decide to give myself a test: one post every day for the month of January (or the equivalent within the whole month).

And not only that, since the beginning of a new year is a good time to increase one's discipline, each post will have some piece of meat--something worth thinking about, discussing, or just discovering. This is for my own good more than anyone else's...

Since this is the first post of the month and serves partly as an announcement, I'll just end with a question.

What happened at Salem, Massachusetts in the year of 1692? What a few years ago I had thought was an obvious example of demonic influence in the Puritan communities I have observed to be redrawn by the majority of modern interpretations as the product of spoiled rye, jealousies, or misguided and dogmatic notions.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Derek, that's pretty ambitious! One post a day or the equivalent, and each one a meaty one!

    Unfortunately I have nothing to add on the topic of the Salem witchcraft trials, not having researched it at all, except that there could well be some balancing of treatment of the subject in order.

    ReplyDelete