Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Brave Old World of Vacuum Tubes

So, I picked up of one of these at a ham radio tailgate sale last semester.

It's a 6N010 Relay made by Amperite. It's supposed to have a 10 second delay to closing. After hooking mine up to 6.3 VAC, I discovered it has something like a 22 second delay cold and as little as a 7 second delay hot.

I was worried that it might not work because that mica plate, across which the filaments are stretched, is broken, not completely, but there is a definite tear in there. It still heats up, though, and closes the connection. So, I am pretty thrilled. We'll have to see what all I can do with this little beast.

Oh, incidentally, these tubes are selling upwards of $100 on eBay... I picked mine up for less than a buck.


No comments:

Post a Comment