Friday, February 4, 2011

Ok, so, yes, I didn't post every day in January.

I underestimated two things:

1. The degree to which staying on the LeTourneau campus is conducive to intellectually recreational thought.

2. The amount of time necessary to invest in such an activity.

So, in order to make up for not posting anything for a while, I will leave you with a puzzling problem which probably has a very obvious solution.

Can a digital circuit be made to produce random numbers (withstanding any current human capacity to produce a pattern through analysis)?

Hint: Take a look at the Linear Feedback Shift Register.

3 comments:

  1. I have no idea what the answer to your question is, but since I have a 50/50 chance of being right, I'm going to go with "Yes."

    The real reason for my comment, however, is to seek clarification: The first thing you say you underestimated . . . Did you mean that you OVERestimated it? Because it seems that underestimating that quantity would lead to MORE posts, not less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one. I am getting lazy with my English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, according to my understanding of the concept, you are probably wrong.

    Strictly as a function of digital logic, randomness cannot be produced. I would love to be proved wrong though.

    ReplyDelete